Davis® Math Mastery Program
Math mastery is a program designed for those with dyscalculia or acalculia. During the program we will master the basic math functions and concepts that are foundational to learning mathematics.
Davis® Math Mastery provides tools to correct problems learning math. These learning problems are sometimes called dyscalculia and can often accompany dyslexia and ADHD symptoms.
Visual-spatial thinkers are often confused by the words and symbols which describe math functions. When the foundation concepts for understanding all mathematics are mastered, learning math becomes easy.
Like Davis Dyslexia Correction®, the first step in the Math Mastery program is to enable the student to control disorientation. Once students can be sure that their perceptions are accurate, they can resolve any confusions about math with methods that build upon their creative and imaginative strengths.
The length of a program varies, depending on the needs of the individual. Usually, we will schedule 8 days, but sometime need only 6 to 7 to finish the program. Even less time may be required if the student has already completed a basic Dyslexia Correction program.
The math mastery program was developed for children (approximately age 8 and above), teens, and adults
- to create and monitor a focused state at will
- to self-regulate energy levels to appropriately match the task at hand
- to improve balance and coordination
- to resolve confusions caused by numbers
- to understand one’s own learning style and recognize its gifts
- Increased self-esteem
- Improved ability to correctly write numerals without reversals
- Acquire meaning for basic concepts used in mathematics: Change, Consequence, Cause/Effect, Before/After, Time, Sequence, Order vs. Disorder
- Confusions resolved with understanding of math symbols and terms
- Improvement with basic math operations: addition, subtraction, carrying and borrowing, as well as multiplication, division
- Increased understanding of vocabulary used in story problems (is, are, and, of, to, etc.)
- Visual concept meaning for place value activities
- Various math-related skills: Telling time, reading or using a calendar, counting money, making change, balancing a checkbook
Professional services described as Davis®, Davis Dyslexia Correction®, Davis Symbol Mastery®, Davis Orientation Counseling®, and Davis Math Mastery® may only be provided by persons who are employed by a licensed Davis Specialist, or who are trained and licensed as Davis Facilitators by Davis Dyslexia Association International.