Young learners deserve the best start we can give them.
Strong research evidence suggests that children who are exposed to Davis methods reading program at pre-reading or primary level (age 5-7) benefit in the following ways:
- They are highly unlikely to develop a learning difficulty.
- They are significantly more likely to qualify for gifted program referrals.
- Their basic word recognition will be among the highest levels expected for their age group.
The Davis® Reading Program for Young Learners is an individualized learning enhancement program for children ages 5 to 7. We work directly with the child and parent. We provide hands-on training and guidance to a participating parent.
This Reading Program provides important tools to beginning readers. Through the unique philosophy of the program, parents or other family members gain the skills needed to provide the child with ongoing quality support. Learning techniques and activities are keyed to the developmental level of the child, so the child experiences success in a fun and playful setting. Through active participation in the program, the parent gains the knowledge and tools needed to continue supporting the child’s learning at home.
The program goal is to give children aged 5-7 the best possible start at the outset of their learning career and to:
- to provide lifelong learning skills
- to give parents the confidence and skills to work with their child after the program
- to provide children with the conceptual skills needed to develop reading fluency and comprehension
Young Learners Reading Program skills learned:
- to create and monitor a focused state at will
- to self-regulate energy levels to appropriately match the task at hand
- to improve balance and coordination
- to resolve any confusions caused by letters, numbers or symbols
- to understand one’s own learning style and recognize its gifts
- Increased self-esteem
- Increased fine motor coordination
- Positive experiences and attitudes developed for academic work
- Strengthened left-to-right eye movement for accurate word decoding
- Improved skills in word recognition, fluency, comprehension, and retention
- Concept understanding of all three parts of a word: its spelling, its pronunciation, and its meaning through a three-dimensional model created by the child